first grader reading below grade level
- Check out books at the library that are Read – Alongs. Read – Alongs are when the author reads the story out loud on a recording. As your child is listening have them follow along in the book.
- Have your child earn tangible (computer time, ice cream, or etc) and intangible ( smiles, praise, special handshake) to encourage your child to be more successful.
- Have them read stories with many pictures and context clues.
- Use a highlighter to emphasize key words.
- Have you child learn sight words!